• Bid to stop imminent release of ‘playboy rapist’ Simon Monteiro

    Corrective Services has made a last-ditch attempt to keep Eastern Suburbs “playboy rapist” Simon Monteiro behind bars, lodging submissions on Monday seeking to stop his imminent release on parole.
    Nanjing Night Net

    Monteiro, who was sentenced to a maximum of 12 years and three months for aggravated sexual intercourse without consent, was granted release by the State Parole Authority on January 9.

    The parole approval, which would have seen him released from January 30 to serve his last two years in the community, was pending a further Corrective Services report on the suitability of post-release accommodation.

    But in a short statement released on Monday, the department said it had lodged submissions seeking the revocation of Monteiro’s parole.

    The department successfully sought to have the matter heard in a private hearing before the parole authority on Thursday, four days before Monteiro could be released.

    A spokeswoman declined to comment on what was included in the department’s submissions.

    Monteiro, who has changed his name to Simon Lowe, was sentenced in 2009 following his conviction for the rape and assault of a girlfriend in Bellevue Hill.

    Following Monteiro being granted release, a parole authority spokeswoman said the now 51-year-old would be required to live at an approved address and was not to visit the local council areas of Randwick City, Waverley and Woollahra.

    Fairfax Media first revealed Monteiro’s imminent release in September, including a warning from victims of the former model and aspiring actor that they feared his release could put other women in danger.

    In a submission to the parole board last year, and provided to Fairfax Media, one of his victims, Kim Gentle, said she believed Monteiro’s offending would escalate.

    “His release into society not only puts me at risk again but also many of his past victims,” she wrote in her submission. “The offender is an extremely narcissistic, violent recidivist ??? with many antisocial mental health issues that are still variously diagnosed [and] with a history of committing offences whilst on bail.”

    In custody, Monteiro has assaulted prison staff and threatened to rape a guard’s wife. He was denied parole in 2015 and 2016.

    His offences have been the subject of a petition signed by more than 30,000 Australians to keep him behind bars and reform the parole system “to ensure that offenders who are not truly reformed and continue to pose a risk to the community are not released, even if their sentence is up”.

    Monteiro told the parole authority the online petition was “based on a lot of things … that are not true”, and unfairly painted him as “monsters incorporated” and “the anti-christ”.

    The private hearing will be heard in Sydney on Thursday.

    This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

    Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.